Looking up

As the afternoon came to a close, I began thinking about our day and today felt like a total failure. A big part of Charlotte Mason homeschooling is "habit training". Reflecting on our day my mind immediately went to the negative--"Ugh!...no habits formed today." I let Pocahontas sleep in because she had a homeschool swim party until 8:30 last night. So, naturally after our normal bedtime routine it was 10 pm--before they got into bed. Gee, only two hours late! She woke up grumpy and tired. But somehow she made her bed & did her devotional. We did math, recitations, hymns, reading & nature all by 1:00. Next, a little playtime & then upstairs for nap & independent reading. Narrations will be done at dinner for dad. I walked upstairs to check on the kids. First I peak in Pocahontas' room. Her bed is made, her room is clean and her blanket is even folded nicely on the bed. On to Z's room, as I walk I'm thinking "Why are they so quiet? This is not normal."! I opened the door to find P singing Z songs. She had already read him two nap time stories. She loves being a big sister...most of the time. :)

Wow! Time to reevaluate the day. Another one of CM's philosophy is baby steps. It all takes time. Why do we tend to think first of the negative? Yes, I need to do about 4 loads of laundry, clean the kitchen & water the yard. I also need to make dinner and probably 4,000 other things. But, I no longer think today was mostly a loss & that I've failed. Thank you Lord.

My goal for our 1st term was for the kids to independently get up, make their bed, get dressed & "P" to do her devotional before coming down to breakfast. Hmmm... maybe we can actually make this work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment