Me? I could never homeschool!


We've officially been "homeschooling" for three weeks now. All of our curriculum still hasn't arrived but I have been supplementing with other supplies and books from the library. Our math curriculum may not be here for another two weeks! A good thing to remember next year--order early.

My main focus has been getting into a routine and forming those "habits". The first two weeks were a little difficult. Zane hadn't started school, we were still recovering from vacation and the death of our precious Uncle David. I can't believe how much has changed and what homeschooling has brought to fruition in our lives in a mere three weeks!

The first week we just got our feet wet so speak. We began with our habit goals of getting up, having devotion time, making our bed and getting dressed with no reminders. Pocahontas is doing great with this. In fact, I may add a chore to her daily habit forming routine next week. Z is doing good as well considering his age and the fact that he started school this week. He told me after his open house that he wants to go to school "EVERY DAY and WITHOUT me"! This is a night and day change from last year. So, Lilly and I have the mornings to accomplish any school that needs to be one-on-one. We pick Zane up at 11:30, have lunch, play, read together then have nap and independent reading. We started this routine on Wednesday. Next week we will start our "regular schedule" and hopefully get into a good "rut" (forming those habits).

One thing I LOVE about homeschooling is the idea of getting to know each child individually--deeply. Not that we didn't want or do this before homeschool. This is just taking it to a new level. Learning their strengths and weaknesses on a level that allows you to discuss and formulate a plan with them that helps them succeed. For example Miss Pocahontas does not enjoy writing in the least. I've struggled with getting her to write neatly for years--I'm a Kindergarten teacher for heavens sake! I finally made a break through today--I listened to her complaints without judgement. We went to Hobby Lobby and got some cool multicolored pencils, made a plan for her to proactively take control her frustrations. Then, discussed perseverance and began our "Handwriting Without Tears" lesson with lots of praise. We ended dancing, singing and laughing. Yesterday and many days before it ended with tears and frustration. YEA!

The kids have also started a prayer journal along with their daily devotionals. They can write or draw in as much detail as they feel comfortable. They know they are writing to God and should do their best. Of course Z and I share devotional time and I write what he says and he draws a simple picture--I also add comments for him to read when he's older. I thought I'd include this example to show how his little mind is learning to relate his world to God and lean on Him--I hope you can read the words. His little drawing is of him on a trail at a local birding park. Z is so precious during these times. His questions are priceless and his comments are both childlike and profound.

Did I ever say "I could NEVER homeschool!" ?



0 comments:

Post a Comment